Which course is the right one for me?

Registration Certificate / Agents Representative

The Registration Certificate (QLD & NSW) or Agent Representative Course (VIC) is required by law to work in the real estate industry under a fully licensed agent or agency. It is the minimum requirement and usually considered the entry-level qualification.

This certificate will allow you to work as a Salesperson, Property Manager or even in an assistant/administrative role in an established agency.

Upgrade from Registration Certificate / Agents Representative to Full Licence

The Upgrade from Certificate to Licence course is for those who hold the units from the CPP40307 package for their Registration Certificate (QLD & NSW) or Agents Representative Course (VIC).

This course is generally for people currently working in the industry who want to to own or manage a real estate agency.

As long as you hold the relevant units for your Registration Certificate (QLD & NSW) or Agents Representative Course (VIC) from the CPP40307 package then the upgrade course covers the remaining subjects required to qualify for the full licence.

Full Licence Course

The Licensee/Principal Agents course is what you require by law to own or manage your own Real Estate agency or work for yourself without the need to be working with an established agency.

This licence will allow you to work in sales, property management or as a resident letting agent and covers up to 24 units of competency from the CPP40307 package depending on each states requirements.

There are no pre-requisites for this course however in Victoria you need to register as an Agents Representative with Victoria Consumer Affairs for 12 months before they will grant you a Full Licence.

For more information regarding licencing requirements please contact the following based on your state

QLD Office of Fair Trading

NSW Office of Fair Trading

VIC Consumer Affairs

Are your courses nationally accredited and recognised?

Yes! National Real Estate Learning is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO #40998) delivering nationally accredited courses in real estate across Australia. You can find our more information by visiting training.gov.au.

Why should I choose National Real Estate Learning?

NREL is a nationally accredited Registered Training Organisation delivering high quality, online real estate courses (RTO #40998).

NREL fastrack online courses are the quickest, most cost effective way to obtain your real estate qualification in Australia.

There is plenty of support available for you. You can contact our assessing team throughout the course via our online ticketing system.

NREL’s interactive online web-based platform means that you can use most mobile devices (that can connect to the internet) to access the training platform and learning materials.

NREL uses the most up-to-date training methods and technology for course delivery. Our trainers and assessors are current industry professionals and continuously update learning content to reflect current industry standards and legislation.

NREL offers self-paced learning and allows students the flexibility to study anywhere, at anytime.

Online versus classroom training - Which should I choose?

Online training gives you the freedom and flexibility to study in a way that suits your current life/work balance. NREL provides an online training environment that is similar to being in class, without the inconvenience of taking time off work.

What style of training you choose is dependent on your learning style. In-class training does allow students to interact face-to-face with a trainer however this service is virtually available to students via NREL’s online message board system.

What if I really need help with the assessment questions?

We are here to help you throughout the course. Our assessors are available to answer any questions you have via our online ticketing system. If you are struggling with a question or the course content, an assessor will be able to point you in the right direction. The course is competency based so you will need to complete the coursework independently as much as possible. There is no in-class training involved so students will need to study the learning materials and answer the assessment questions based on their comprehension.

What is the difference between a Registration Certificate and a Full Licence?

A Registration Certificate enables you to work in real estate under a fully licensed agent or agency. It is a requirement by law to hold a Registration Certificate if you are working at an agency performing the duties of a salesperson, property manager, assistant, or even in some circumstances, administration.

The Full Agent Licence is required if you intend to manage/own an agency or work independently. We recommend you contact the Office of Fair Trading in your state to clarify what qualifications you are required to hold.

If I have a Registration Certificate can I upgrade to a Full Agents Licence?

In Queensland, you are able to upgrade your sales registration certificate as long as you hold the current 7 units of competency as set down by the Office of Fair Trading under the CPP40307 training package.

Can I use my certificate or licence in another state or territory?

Each state has their own training requirements so you cannot automatically work interstate. You may be able to apply for mutual recognition but you will need to contact the Office of Fair Trading to determine if you are eligible.

ACT   –  www.ors.act.gov.au

NSW –  www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au

NT    –  www.nt.gov.au

QLD –  www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au

SA   –  www.cbs.sa.gov.au

TAS –  www.propertyagentsboard.com.au

VIC –  www.consumer.vic.gov.au

WA –  www.commerce.wa.gov.au

Are there any pre-course requirements?

Although there are no prerequisites to enrol into our courses, we recommend you contact the Office of Fair Trading to determine whether you are eligible to have your application approved. Eligibility criteria may include:

  • be 18 years or over (you can be under 18 to complete courses however)
  • be a suitable person
  • have completed the required training units through a registered training organisation.

How can I view NREL’s policies?

To view our policies, please see NREL’s Student Handbook. We recommend you take the time to read through this information before enrolling into a course.

How long do I have to complete my course?

Each course has a different allocated time frame to complete it in. See below for your course and its allocated time frame.


Registration Certificate Course – 6 months
Upgrade from Certificate to Full Licence Course – 12 months
Full Agent Licence / Principal Licensee Course – 12 months

New South Wales

Registration Certificate Course – 6 months
Certificate IV In Property Services (Real Estate)  – 24 months


Agents Representative Course – 6 months
Certificate IV In Property Services (Real Estate)  – 24 months

What is my Unique Student Identifier (USI)?

Before you get started, you will need to know your Unique Student Identifier or USI. The USI is a unique number issued by the Australian government and allocated to you to keep track of all your nationally recognised training activities. It is a requirement that we collect this information during registration so your courses with NREL can be added to your training record.

Creating a USI is free. It creates a secure online record of your nationally recognised training that you can access anytime and anywhere, and it’s your for life. If you don’t have a USI, or have forgotten your USI, please click here to register or recover it. You will not be able to commence your training until you have provided your USI.

Do you offer RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning)?

We may offer RPL to address your training needs however this is dependent on your circumstances. Please contact NREL at info@nrel.com.au to discuss your options.

How is the course graded?

All real estate courses are competency based. It is crucial that you read through all the learning materials and take the time to fully comprehend the units of competency you are studying. You will then need to answer the assessment questions and complete tasks based on your understanding of the learning materials. The assessing team is available to help you if you get stuck on something however you will need to complete the bulk of the assessments independently.

What if I submit an incorrect answer?

There is plenty of online support available. If you do submit an answer that is marked as incorrect, the assessing team will notify you via email, provide you with feedback if necessary and you can resubmit your answers as many times as needed, completely free of charge!

How quickly will my work be graded?

From the time you submit your final assessment and notify the assessing team via the messageboard, your work will be graded and if you are deemed competent, your Statement of Attainment will be released within 7 business days.

Can I enrol as an international student?

We do not currently deliver training to international students who are on student visas.